Under general supervision, performs law enforcement and public safety work in the custody and security of jail inmates.
- Position requires close physical contact with inmates and direct contact with the public.
- Position is one of possible high stress and verbal and/or physical confrontations.
- Position also requires lifting (at times heavy).
- Written reports and mathematical calculations are required.
- Communication skills are critical to performance of duties.
- Candidates must be able to follow written and verbal directions, and work different shifts as assigned.
- Candidates must be able to perform multiple tasks successfully under different degrees of circumstances.
The Chatham County Sheriff's Department supervises inmates under the "Direct Supervision" concept. This requires candidates to work under conditions requiring direct contact and supervision of inmates for an entire shift.
*Notice: A conditional written agreement is required for this position.
Must undergo physical psychological and psychometric tests, observed urinalysis drug screening and background investigation (charges involving drugs or moral turpitude may disqualify candidates), driver's history (a record of numerous traffic infractions or pattern of disregard for traffic laws may disqualify candidates), and credit check.
Must be able to successfully complete First Aid, CPR, and Firearms certification as required. Applicants must submit copies of driver's license, birth certificate, high school diploma or GED certificate, social security card, all applicable documentation of relevant training and DD214 long form if applicable, with application to be eligible for testing.
*The Chatham County Sheriff's Department is a SMOKE-FREE WORK ENVIRONMENT.
Terms of conditional written agreement requires salary reimbursement for voluntary separation within two years of completion of POST Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy
Think you have what it takes?
At the time of application:
- High school diploma or GED (No online High School Diplomas)
- Ability to complete the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Certification for Jail
and Peace Officer
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Physical ability to defend against inmate attack
- Vision requirement must be 20/20 or 20/40 corrected
- Ability to lift; ability to push loaded carts; ability to climb stairs
- Effective January 1, 2007, there is a physical agility test that is required by candidates for the position. The agility test requires candidates to run 900 feet and to successfully drag a 160 pound dummy approximately 40 feet.
- This is a onetime entry level test.
Great benefits & more!
Starting Salary Range: $31,105.00 – $33,175.00*
- Accruable vacation leave (up to 480 hrs)
- Accruable sick leave (no limit)
- 11 holidays a year
- Provided life insurance
- Medical plan with minimum contribution
- Dental Plan available
- Retirement plan
- Deferred compensation plan, and
- Many other benefits.
Download an application!
NOTE: All waivers must be downloaded and attached to all applications!